Sprucing up your outdoor living area can often be a good idea. But what if you are thinking of selling your home shortly? There are many things to consider in this case. Today we want to go over the possible upsides and downsides of putting in a bit of extra work.
The first thing to consider is whether you are keeping your house to own it or not. Many people hold their houses and greatly improve their outdoor furniture in the hope of their home value going up. While this is possible and even likely with work you need to ask why you are doing it. Are you doing it just because you enjoy telling people your house is worth a lot? Were you planning to sell it from the start? Both of these are terrible reasons to spruce up the area. There are a few reasons for this:
- You get very little return for quite a bit of work when simply selling a house. You want to use that equity to borrow against or gain other advantages. Even with an agent people most often sell below the full value. Don’t waste your time in that case.
- It can be quite a bit of work that someone else will take advantage of. You might get a bit more money but you will have wasted quite a lot of your precious time.
For both of these reasons you should not bother if you are selling it quickly. Your outdoor furniture should be for your enjoyment, not for people you barely know.
It is a great idea to do this if you are planning on keeping and borrowing against your home though. This allows you to enjoy it for a long time and enjoy the benefits that your work brought.
So let us assume you are selling your home but you’ve kept it long enough that you enjoyed it. In that case you should try to spruce up the patio in small ways. Here are a few:
- Clean and repair any damaged pieces that you will be leaving. This is easy to do with some fresh paint and a bit of work with tools. This should not take too long and can really impress people.
- Fill in any gaps in stonework or otherwise cover them. This may be too difficult in some cases but it’s usually an easy fix that will impress people.
- Keep the general area clean and in good order.
There are all small fixes that can make a big difference when someone is looking to buy. You want to do the easy things to improve your outdoor furniture style without going overboard.
Another option is taking your best pieces with you. For many people this is what you want to go with. Make sure that those you are selling it to do not find out. It can make things very difficult if they find out. In the end you should make your own choice on spending your valuable time.